:)

:)

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Sweet and Sour Chicken

This is a family recipe and it's the best that I've ever had. I may be just a little biased :)

Anyway we made it for dinner tonight and so I thought I would share it with all you lovely people!
I also realized when I was uploading the pictures that I may have gotten a little camera happy... (ahem, 25 photos!). I got a new camera for Christmas and I just couldn't help it!

Ingredients you'll need:
1 6 oz can pineapple juice
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 clove garlic minced or chopped
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts

We started with frozen chicken, so we just through that into a greased pan and started cooking that while we heated the chicken broth for the rice (did I mention that it goes great with rice? ;) ) and assembled the sauce.

For the chicken:
Step one, either start cooking whole chicken or dice them into bite sized cubes. We cooked ours a little to thaw it and then diced it about halfway through. You use the garlic in this step, just saute it along with the chicken. My little sis may or may not have completely forgotten about the garlic. It was still delicious though!
Our completely frozen chicken. We may or may not have realized when we tried to flip them that we forgot to spray the pan. So we did it after we pried them up :)
Step 2: Add enough soy sauce to cover the bottom of the pan and coat the chicken

For the sauce:
Mix all your ingredients together in a pan OFF of the heat. 
Especially make sure that the cornstarch is completely dissolved before you put it on the stove.
Then stir constantly on medium heat until it changes color.
It's kind of subtle, so make sure you're looking for it. It will thicken up too. If you find that the sauce is a little thinner than you like it, take some water and mix it with cornstarch. Make sure it is completely dissolved again (warm water is best) and then add it to your sauce and stir it in.

For the rice:
We did one cup of rice and one two cup can of Chicken broth. You don't really need to use broth, but I find that if you've got 'cheaper' rice then it makes it taste a LOT better.
Cook the rice until tender. If you're using Mahamati rice like us, then it takes about 20 minutes :)


Mix your sauce and chicken/soy sauce mixture.

Then mix it together!

Then you're all done! You can mix it with the rice, or just have them separate!
Let me know if it turns out for you, or if any of the steps are unclear! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment